Saturday, February 10, 2024

So Long, Life Before Cambridge Portfolio Project

    Next week we're officially starting to work on the final portfolio for this class. I'm really, really excited to begin working on this. I've never gotten to work on such a large and long project before, especially one with so much creative freedom (or any creative freedom...). But, I'm also quite nervous for certain aspects of it. Right now, I'm pretty much drawing a blank to even a general idea. It's funny because at this point of my life I've seen quite a few film openings, but I don't think I actually have ever realized how every idea begins with a blank piece of paper. I know there are certain genres that I skew more towards than others (I'm really eyeing the horror genre for this project), but I'm also really open to creating something completely out of my (genre) comfort zone.
   
     After we went over the different purposes for a film opening, I've kinda begun to rule some out. I know that I have very little interest in making an opening to develop setting. It could definitely be an interesting project, I just can't see this being intriguing in my veryyyy homogenous suburb. I'm also not too keen on making a project to showcase technical elements. If I had more experience with production elements like lighting or cameras, I would definitely look into this method, but I don't. The film opening I'm most interested in is one that develops tone. I feel like this method encompasses everything I hope to do with this project. By developing tone, I can balance focusing on mise-en-scene and lighting elements with the actual plot.

    Another film opening I'm looking into is one that develops background. I feel like this opening would be really effective if I want to make a project with background "lore", if I went with the horror genre, I think I would definitely want to provide as much background as possible. I also really love it when films begin with some kind of voiceover or radio explanation of a past event so maybe I'll incorporate that into my opening. Either way, I'm really anxious and excited to see how these next couple of months pan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Film Opening  After so much stress and nights without sleep, it's finally out, hope you enjoy! Here it is. Whoop whoop